Krishi Vigyan Kendra is a frontline extension model at district level, designed and nurtured by the ICAR for the past four decades since 1974 when the first KVK was established at Pondicherry. The KVK is showcased the frontier technologies, develop the capacity of different stakeholders, front runner in technology application, making available technological information and inputs, practicing participatory approaches in planning, implementing, executing and evaluating the technologies. The centre also pursued assessment and refinement of technologies to suit different agro-climatic conditions. The KVK follows basic concept of imparting learning through work experience, training to extension personnel, flexible, customized syllabus for different areas based on agro-ecological needs.
Science and technology-led growth leading to enhanced productivity, profitability and sustainability of agriculture.
Farmer-centric growth in agriculture and allied sectors through application of appropriate technologies in specific agro-ecosystem perspective
Technology Assessment and Demonstration for its Application and Capacity Development
Activities of KVK
- On-farm testing to assess the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems.
- Organize Frontline Demonstrations to establish production potential of technologies on the farmers’ fields..
- Capacity development of farmers and extension personnel to update their knowledge and skills on modern agricultural technologies.
- To work as knowledge and resource centre of agricultural technologies for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector in improving the agricultural economy of the district.
- Provide farm advisories using ICT and other media means on varied subjects of interest of farmers.